Wednesday 29 April 2009

The Greenhouse!


Check out this baby! Yeah, it rocks. Best of all it cost nothing!!!

I am so excited about finally having the greenhouse up. I got it from work at Christmas. It used to be in the plant sales area behind the shop, but when they decided to turn that into the new kid’s play area it had to go. As it was considered quite knackered, the powers that be decided it wasn’t a good idea to find a new home for it in the gardens so I blagged it.

It took ages to get it from work to my house as I had a right struggle finding a van big enough to transport it. Putting it up was, amazingly, not too bad. I was able to go onto the Alton’s web site and find the instructions. It had obviously been moved quite a few times in the past as there was evidence of previous bodging but Sam and I managed to get it up relatively easily.

There are a few broken pains (that was me I’m afraid, transporting it) but they have been filled using polytunnel plastic. I got the polytunnel plastic from International Plastics in Digbeth, which is an experience in itself as you get to drive in right up to the counter!

Sam laid the brick path in the middle with bricks that we have found during the countless occasions when we have doug up the garden. The Erdinger bottles that edge the u shaped bed were scavenged from outside a neighbor house last summer (sadly not consumed at ours). I spotted them one night before glass recycling, thinking that I would use them to bottle some nettle beer but as I never got round to it they had just been sat in the back of the garden. I am well chuffed with how they look.

I have got far to excited about the new growing possibilities that we now have. Rather typically I have planted far too many seeds! This year I will be growing my tomatoes in there, so hopefully avoiding the heart break of blight. I’m also giving violet tomatillos a shot, as well as cucumbers, melon, sweat peppers, yellow peppers, chilli’s and whatever else I can lay my hands on from the Heritage Seed Library. I am going to have to have a serious chat with myself to remind myself that it’s not the size of the Albert Hall!!!!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT! Can't wait to get a greenhouse, one day when I'm all grown-up and have my own little smallholding ;o)

    ReplyDelete